**It is highly recommended that you SIGN IN to your Overdrive account before you search for a title. If you search before you sign in, you may not see all the titles available to LPL patrons.**
The Lafayette Public Library’s downloadable eBook and audiobook service from OverDrive is FREE to use by anyone with a valid LPL library card!
- This service can be accessed from your home computer or mobile device, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- If a book is checked out, you can place a hold on the book to be notified when it is available.
- No more overdue fines – titles cease to view after your chosen check out time.
- Set your own check out time to 7 or 14 days. You may return your item early and get another one.
- If you are using a mobile device with a compatible app, just install the app and you are ready to use!
- If you are using a device that needs a PC, you will need to load the Adobe Digital Editions software to download books. EBooks and audiobooks downloaded to your PC can be moved to any compatible portable device, such as a Sony eBook Reader. Be sure to check out our Adobe Digital Editions screencast video.
Will my eReader work?
- Overdrive is compatible with the following devices: Apple iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch (iOS 4.0 and newer), Barnes & Noble Nook, Amazon Kindle, Pandigital Novel, Sony Reader and Android Devices. SEE THE FULL LIST OF DEVICES HERE.
FAQs and Guides
- Step-by-step instructions on how to download digital media from Overdrive
- Get help with using the Overdrive Media Console
- Overdrive Help Page – Includes Videos and Return Information
- Overdrive Help Videos
- Why don’t you have a particular title? Not everything published in print is available as an eBook product for purchase by the library. The library adds new titles every month as they become available. Please Note: If you are using the Overdrive mobile app to search our eBook catalog, you will only see eBooks that are compatible with your device. EBooks that require a PC to be downloaded will not show up while searching on your mobile device. You may request a title we don’t own here (but please be sure to search the Overdrive catalog first!).
- Why don’t you have more copies? The library purchases copies of eBooks the same way we do copies of print books. We look at the demand for the title. The more holds or requests placed on a title, the more copies are purchased.
- Do I need to install an app on my eReader? It depends. If your eReader is a dedicated eReader (Nook, Sony Reader, etc), you may only be required to connect it to your computer via USB and use Adobe Digital Editions to move eBooks to your device. If you have an Apple iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) or an Android Phone/Tablet you will need to install the Overdrive Media Console. For more on apps, see below.
Returning Overdrive Items
- Items checked out using Overdrive will be automatically returned on the expiration date. However, if you would like to return an item early, it is now possible to return eBook and audiobooks using either the Overdrive Media Console app on your device, Adobe Digital Editions or the “Manage My Kindle” page while logged into your Amazon Account.
- Here is a handy chart that shows how to download and return your item based on your device.
Our “Getting Started” Screencast!
How to checkout and download to a Nook
How to checkout directly to a Kindle
What about mobile apps?
Download the app for your device now!