Thanks for dropping in to find out all about Lafayette Public Library’s new FREE downloadable eBook and Audiobook service from OverDrive. All that is required is your library card!
- This service can be accessed from your home computer or mobile device, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- If a book is checked out, you can place a hold on the book to be notified when it is available.
- No more overdue fines – titles cease to view after your chosen check out time.
- Set your own check out time to 7 or 14 days. You may return your item early and get another one.
- If you are using a mobile device with a compatible app, just install the app and you are ready to use!
- If you are using a device that needs a PC, Just load the Adobe Digital Editions software, validate it and you are ready to download books! Once you download to your PC you can move your eBook or Audiobook to another compatible portable device like a Sony eBook Reader. The OverDrive help pages list compatible devices. Be sure to check out our Adobe Digital Editions screencast video.
Will my eReader work?
- Quick answer: iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch (iOS 4.0 and newer)=yes, Nook=yes, NookColor=yes, Pandigital Novel=yes, Sony Reader=yes, Android Devices=yes, , Kindle=YES!
FAQ’s and Guides!
- Frequently asked questions about Overdrive Media Console
- Step by step instructions on how to download digital media from Overdrive!
- General Help Section for Overdrive.
- Guided Tour of Overdrive Media Console (video)
- Why don’t you have a particular title? Not everything published in print is available as an e-book product for purchase by the library. The library adds new titles every month as they become available. [Request a title we don't own here (be sure to search the Overdrive catalog first!)]
- Why don’t you have more copies? The library purchases copies of e-books the same way we do copies of print books. We look at the demand for the title. The more holds or requests placed on a title, the more copies are purchased.
- Do I need to install an app on my eReader? It depends… if your eReader is a dedicated eReader (Nook, Sony Reader, etc), you may only be required to connect it to your computer via USB and use Adobe Digital Editions to move eBooks to your device. If you have an Apple iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) or an Android Phone/Tablet you will need to install the Overdrive Media Console. For more on apps, see below.
Returning Overdrive Items
- Items checked out using Overdrive will be automatically returned on the expiration date. However, if you would like to return an item early, it is now possible to return eBook and Audio Books using either the Overdrive Media Console app on your device, Adobe Digital Editions, or the “Manage My Kindle” page while logged into your Amazon Account.
- Here is a handy chart which shows how to download and return your item based on device.
Our “Getting Started” Screencast!
How to checkout and download to a Nook
How to checkout directly to a Kindle
What about mobile apps?
Download the app for your device now!