Writes of Spring Writing Contest 2013-Closed
Deadline: March 22, 2013
Students in grades K–12 are invited to submit an original piece of short fiction, non-fiction, drama (high school only), or poetry in English or French, along with a completed entry form to any Lafayette Public Library branch by Friday, March 22nd. First, second, and third place winners will be selected. The awards ceremony for high school winners will be held April 30th at 6:30 pm at the South Regional Library. The ceremony will include a poetry reading by local poet Kelly Clayton. Winning authors will be notified by phone. See entry form for complete details.
Teen Video Challenge-Closed
Deadline: Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Create a video promoting the Summer Reading Program at the public library for 2013 and you could win $275! Create a short Public Service Announcement (PSA), using the theme “Beneath the Surface.” You could be the Louisiana Teen Video Winner in the national Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) “Beneath the Surface” Teen Video Challenge 2013. Teens all across America will see your video.
Who can enter?
• Any Louisiana state teen, aged 13 -18.
• Create the video on your own or work with other teens as a team.
How do I enter?
1. Get the Entry Form here and print it out. Read all instructions provided on the entry form and read the Rules listed below.
2. Explore the resource link for additional ideas http://www.cslpreads.org/video-resources.html
3. Create a 30 – 90 second video that encourages teens to read and use libraries this summer. Be sure to use the concept of “Beneath the Surface” as the main focus of your video.
4. Title your video: “your video: “2013 TVC-LA- Unique Name” (same as Entry Form) Please choose a Unique Name that does not include your real name (example: 2013 TVC – LA - Krypton23).
5. Upload your video to YouTube.com. or Vimeo.com
6. Fill out your Entry Form and Model Release form(s) completely (http://www.cslpreads.org/pubfiles/pdf/TVC2013/ModelReleaseForm2013.pdf)
7. Mail or deliver the forms to your local public library (The library you listed on your entry form) by February 26th, 2013.
For the complete list of rules for the CSLP video challenge along with entry forms and model release forms, go to cslpreads.org and click on “Beneath the Surface” Teen Video Challenge 2013.
WrestleMania Reading Challenge-Closed
October 11-November 15, 2012
Teens and tweens in grades 5-12 can enter to win a trip for two to WrestleMania 29. Students are invited to drop by any Lafayette Public Library branch after school to complete the Reading_Challenge_Entry_Form and optional Reading_Challenge_Pledge_Form to enter the WrestleMania Reading Challenge.
For more information call 261-5787.
Letters About Literature-Closed
Deadline: Friday, January 11, 2013
Take the Letters About Literature writing challenge! Students in grades 4th-10th are invited to write a personal letter to an author you admire, an author of a book (fiction or nonfiction) that inspired you. Your letter must be personal but persuasive, explaining just how the author’s work changed your view of yourself or your world.
Links to additonal contests:
Louisiana Writes! Louisiana Writing Contest. Entries will be accepted in English and French for Poetry, Fiction or Nonfiction categories.
VOYA Magazine has a poetry contest, a cover photo contest, and other opportunities for teens to be published.
Teen Ink Magazine hosts contests in a variety of categories including poetry, fiction, and nonfiction.